Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thank you Mr. Obama

Finally, a reason I can be thankful Mr. Obama is our non-resident president. Thanks to him I will be eligible for Medicaid beginning in 2014. In the “we have to pass it to see what’s in it” healthcare bill there is a provision that anyone who makes less than $64,000, is drawing Social Security and not eligible for Medicare will be eligible for Medicaid.

That means I can start Social Security early at 62 and have free healthcare. Of course, that means I don’t need health insurance at work so my employees may not be happy. Also, to make sure I make less than $64,000 I may have to let a couple of them go (I’ll call it “retirement incentive”) so we are less productive. I will probably have to use a CPA instead of TurboTax to make sure I have all the credits and deductions available to keep my income low.

However, since it doesn’t happen until 2014 that means if a Tea Party activist Republican is elected President and those mean-spirited cut taxes and don’t spend conservatives get control of Congress they may take it away. Can you imagine a hard-working, middle class, early retiree not having free healthcare like all the poor, lower class, single moms with a bunch of kids? Or the drug addicts who have kidney failure?

They would be forced to take away something I’ve worked all my life to attain – being a burden to my children and grandchildren.

What’s a conservative to do?

No comments: